Monday, February 27, 2006

People..


This happened a few months before. I was traveling along with my friends in a city bus. Our destination was E Square where the Pune International Film Festival was going on. We had booked through the Net and still had some registration formalities left. The shows started at 9:00 in the morning and we did not want to miss anything. We had started sufficiently early and were lucky enough to get a bus that started from our Point, with lots of seats. The journey was like any other Indian bus journey. The bus rattled on making noises as though it was coughing. Maybe it was complaining, for having being put to ride in that cold winter morning.

Soon the bus got crowded. The seats we were sitting on got fortified by commuters. And guarded by alert eyes whose owners were impatiently waiting for us to get down. The journey continued. Many boarded and many got down. One of the replacements that came for a disembarked block of my seat’s fortification was an old man. However he differed a lot.He was frail and possessed a quite dignity in his face.His eyes did not pry for our seats.He had a file in his hands and was wearing an old pair of pants and a sweater over his shirt.He wore spectacles that gave a glow to his eyes,eyes that had seen a lifetime Where is he going? What does the file contain?Is he fighting some old case? A million questions flew through my mind. . He stood there. Anchoring himself to the seat bars and swaying with every sway of the bus.


I got up and offered him my seat. But he surprised me and perhaps all those around us by declining the offer.

Young man, you sit, you have a long way to go in life

Was he making fun of me?

We have to learn to face difficult situations, we should not take the youth for granted, being old doesn’t mean that you should always invite sympathy and help. I am old, but I am strong too, I have enough strength in me to me to hold myself up and perhaps more.” He spoke in perfect English.


I sat on my seat. Uncomfortable though.
Later when another passenger got down the old man took his seat. He still had the same dignity and peace in his eyes.
My stop came and I had to get down, I looked at him, hoping that he ill return it. But he was looking far outside…


We see all kinds of people in life.
We are a country that refuses to stand on queues, that’s rushes into buses and trains, people who don’t mind not taking railway and platform tickets, people who spit on the roads and treats public space as trash bin, Men who unapologetically sit on ladies seat and kids who don’t wait for the old.

And then there are people like him.

15 comments:

P.R.A.D said...

did u see any good looking grand daughters standing next to him ??

Anoop said...

I remember the episode, cause I was there with u!!!
There are people like him and also people like u!!!Way to go man!!

Shikha said...

Hmm..something similar happened to me..there was an old lady standing in the bus..i got up for her..she said its ok..i said its ok too..and then she sat..after some time i got a seat..and i ended being puked upon by a kid

kannan udayarajan said...

Prad Mischievious...!!

anoop :))
shikha haaah..:()!

Gangadhar said...

Kannan,
dat's an episode on which we can think of!!
I generally feel old people have somuch mental stability..Though our younger people physically stable we often weak at heart!!

Keshi said...

Kannan I couldnt open ur blog for many days...I tried and it took along time to open the main page so I always left w.o. reading or commenting :(

Anyways Im here now and it works ok today :)


I think that old guy u met is God...God in one of His many forms delivering a message to u...and thru u, to us...

Keshi.

kannan udayarajan said...

GangadharVery true, the exposure that the current generation has to the hardships of life is minimal..and often they give up at the slightest challange.

Keshii have often wondered about what you mentioned in your last line..there have been many occasions in which people have come out of the blue and made extraordinary statements...and i have wondered ..if there is someone behind all the scenes of life...

Ill look into the loading problem..

Sphinx said...

Would it be OK if I link to your blog?

susubala said...

Adorable post. The old man has steal my heart. He is so confident and particular in not taking advantage over young.

When u were looking at him, he was looking at the outside world !

kannan udayarajan said...

Sphinx Welcome....!! Im linking you too..!

Susubala :) Im lucky to have met someone like him..

Keshi said...

Im sure there is...one day I was very upset and was worried abt something..I was walking down the street...n out of the blue this guy came up to me...and said...'why d u look so sad...everything will be fine soon...' and he gave me something n left...I checked my palms and he had placed a small silver pendant of Mother Mary...b4 I could look up n thank him, he had vanished...

Like he said...all was fine in a month's time...I was so surprised...

Keshi.

kannan udayarajan said...

Keshi Im forced to quote..

“The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible.”

Oscar Wild

Keshi said...

well said!

Keshi.

Mriganayanii said...

Hello,
That's the kind of experience one doesn't forget. Such dignity is admirable.
well written

Anonymous said...

Thank God.. such incidents donot occur in our office shuttle..oh.. there r no oldies and kids..


~Manju