Wednesday, March 01, 2006

shift..


“ If I don’t get this done in 2 hours, you will face dire consequences”

He was screaming to RK, sitting near me.

“There is no need to get angry, I have been working hard, sitting night outs and never taking leaves. Its been 7 months since I last went to see my parents. I have done all that you have asked me to, and still you shout at me…”

RK sounded as though he was about to cry.

Just what is happening to the corporate world?
Ever since I ve started working, I ve seen people handling responsible positions behaving with no dignity and self-respect. Shouting, insulting and always taking credit for the work once it gets done. I work in the Software industry, where people get one of the best salaries in the country and work in the best environs- Air-conditioned offices, services on demand and many, many perks depending upon your post and the bargaining you did while coming in.


Still I see that most of the faces around me are disgruntled, something missing from their faces; maybe it was the cheer they had on their faces as kids. There are the few exceptional cases too, but even freshers who walked in with energy and excitement a few months back seem to have slipped into some kind of sorrow,the reason for which no one knows.
Stupid ego clashes and silly statements makes it even more stupid.And the subject in tea time conversations always revolve around the offers some one else got or another guy’s onsite opportunity and the politics behind.

Is it the long ,in disciplined working hours or the obscene salaries that’s taking away their dignity?To treat their subordinate as slaves and behave like stupid zamindars from an old era?Hey after all this is not rocket science… we all work because our ultimate boss at the top can make money and pay us ,to make a proper living .Of course the ambitious can strive more,but should they tramble over those below them?

I am reminded of a forward that I got …

"Those who sit on top can see only smiling faces when look down..
And those who sit at the bottom will see only assholes when they look up…"

14 comments:

Vanathi said...

Nice thought provoking post...

Anoop said...

There are some bosses who are cool!!!I am sure u will agree with that!!!
So u the disgruntled one or the satisfied guy???

kannan udayarajan said...

vanathi :)) thanks

anoop ...I do I do..!!
:))

Keshi said...

lol I like that cartoon hahahaha!

Well not all bosses r rude and disrespectful...my boss is a cool guy, almost like a good friend...so it really depends on the individual. Mean bosses have some personality issues...probably bad childhood.


Keshi.

Shikha said...

I think rude bosses have a very bad inferiority complex,lack of confidence..most of the time their subordinates know more than them.

Sphinx said...

I completely agree! It's sad to see people in responsible positions absusing it for their benefit, for getting ahead, and for the fun of it. I liked the boss and diaper thing ;-)

Thanks for linking to my ramblings :-)

P.R.A.D said...

Machan, I'm okie with these guys screaming out of their arses', but just pay me more !! ;)

kannan udayarajan said...

Keshi

Hi keshi...Lucky you..!!Ya all people with attitude issues might have had childhood probs..but its a sad fact that even education and social growth can't make a difference to their mindset...

shikhaRK's one definitely has it...

Sphinx :))

Welcome to my blog...and hey thanks for linking me too..

Prad

:) usual self..Prad!! whacky...

Matty said...

I also agree with prad...;-)))

still_figuring_out said...

i like the last phrase! i am going to print it out. of course, i am not going to display it on my cubicle. but it will make a nice tea break topic, i think ;)

kannan udayarajan said...

Matty

best friends..!

sFo

:)) ya it will make a good topic...

My Ramblings... said...

True that!!

kannan udayarajan said...

mR

:)

Rebus said...

You get a beating and you pass it down; ever seen the domino effect; because the first piece has fallen it would take all others behind it except those sturdy ones who stand out no matter what. I see it almost like a cycle thing happening around, your boss was an asshole and when you reach the same position you act like one OR do you break the chain!!

"So those in the middle do they realise what they see"